Friday, December 29, 2006
 
Not California
It's been a nice two weeks or so of vegging. I've spent most of my time at my parents' house and a few days up near Minocqua, Wisconsin, snowmobiling and skate skiing. I snapped a nice picture back in the woods while on a snowmobile ride.



Snowmobiling is one of my guilty little pleasures. It's a dangerous (see last year's Wisconsin fatality report) and polluting (see Wikipedia. I can sleep a little better knowing that one of our sleds is a four stroke) hobby. In the winter, some Northwoods taverns have more snowmobiles sitting outside than cars.

Still, there's something I enjoy about it. There's no protective cage, like in a sports car, so the sense of speed is that much more present. On Wednesday, on a straightaway, I hit 75 miles per hour — in the past, I've been up to 85 crossing a frozen lake.

The state has a network of trails, both local and semi-arterial (you can ride across the state if there's enough snow to have the trails open). Particularly in the north, the wintertime tourist economy's fate hinges on snowfall accumulation.

We again attempted to mix it with the locals (see last year's Adventures in Small-Town America). Characters haunt the taverns on a Wednesday night.

My other goal has been to get Metal Gear Solid 3 beaten on my brother's Playstation, but it looks like that won't be happening before I fly back.
Comments:
My top speed was 125, though I confess it wasn't me driving. It's tough not to enjoy being on a snowmobile, but it's easy to see the arguments against them. They're a little like handguns that way.
 
You must have been out during those 3 days that Wisconsin had snow.

The poor snow mobile dealers and northern tourist traps must be having a rough time this year.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?